Jim Carrey Online

Some Praise for Earth Girls Are Easy

Discuss older Jim Carrey movies.

Postby grinchy steve » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:50 am

Zolang het maar Gentse Waterzooi is. OK, on topic, Earth Girls wasn't my thing.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Retard_Messiah » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:24 am

It is always fun to hear different opinions from people. I didn´t agree about the things you said about Ewan McGregor, but I kind of did when it comes to Johnny Depp.

I really loved his performance in "Pirates..." and it was kind of strange that he was nominated for that role. He had deserved it more earlier in his career. And when it comes to Willy Wonka I think it was whole new caracter, but I can´t help it. I were only thinking about Wonka like a weird Michael Jackson-caracter showing the children his fantastic Neverland. And Depp is denying that Michael Jackson were a insparation. I don´t really believe that.
Retard_Messiah
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Michele Hernandez » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:43 am

grinchy steve wrote: There are rumor's about Depp being nominated again for 'Wonka'. I think that Depp was a kinda fun, but it wasn't the Wonka from the books at all. Not a big point, he created his own Wonka, but after a half hour, you realy knew him and he wasn't able to suprise all over again. He was a bit predictable imo. Fine actor, just hate the hype.

So, please don't take this personal. :) I just wanted to ... in dutch we would say 'lose my egg'. :D

I liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I liked Gene Wilder in the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory better. Don't you agree?
“If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer!” ~ Jim Carrey
Michele Hernandez
Kick-Ass 2

Postby KC8t80 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:23 am

the original is always better but Charlie was good though.

I am a fan of both actors and am probably the only person here who thought The Island was a decent film. But as for Jhonny, it is basically what i like to call "the tom hanks syndrome." Every time Depp or Hanks puts out a film after their break-out hit the media starts screaming OSCAR. it just gets old really fast.
I am part of an elite group of people......THE MEN OF JCO.

(Standing member since July 18th, 2005)

THE FEW AND THE PROUD!!!!
KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Michele Hernandez » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:31 am

I like the original script better. I think Depp started out kind of slow, but then warmed up. He was cute in the part, and I like him, its just that I LOVE the movie with Gene Wilder. He's crazier like Willy Wonka would be, Depp was too even keeled. But the new movie was more up-to-date, maybe more understandable for today's youth. They cut out scenes, like when Wonka is opening the tiny door in the factory, and the psychedelic trip in the boat, to tone it down for today's viewers. But I'm told that that scene was made up in the 70's, and wasn't in the book.
Michele Hernandez
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Michele Hernandez » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:37 am

Check this out:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4660873.stm

I can't believe that Dahl didn't like Gene Wilder!!
I think he is the coolest. I love his eyes- whole persona.
You know what I can't stand about the new movie, the whole part about the ugly braces on Wonka when he was a child, I thought that was just gross!
Michele Hernandez
Kick-Ass 2

Postby grinchy steve » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:09 am

Well, I wasn't all that wild with Wilder either. I think both Depp and Wilder were amusing at times, but non of them -imo- is Wonka we get to know in the books. What Dahl, my favourite writer btw, didn't like was the fact the focus was on the crazyness of Wonka -while in the end he was only human- and not enough on Charlie. And that's exactly the feeling I had watching both movies. Althought, I think Burton did the best on that level, besides Wonka. You know, it's funny, I always saw Wonka more as what we have got in Lemony Snicket, the mysterious Count Olaf. Besides the evilness ofcours. But he had the look I imagined and at least, he was mysterious. Not a character acting weird.

But I hate the fact Burton changed the story a bit, that whole thing about his childhood just wasn't right. And I seriously doubt Dahl would have liked Depp -indeed Michael Jackson- as Wonka.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Michele Hernandez » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:47 pm

I have a message to Tim Burton : very sinister things are NOT necessarily a part of childhood. After re-reading the article above, I understand that Dahl wanted more emphasis placed on Charlie, and I agree, Tim Burton did not follow the book in his diversions, or should I called it perversions? Shame, shame, shame. Tom Shadyac should have been the choice.
Michele Hernandez
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Michele Hernandez » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:14 pm

Check out Gene Wilder's take on it, and Tim Burton being a deceiver:

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-06-02
Michele Hernandez
Kick-Ass 2

Postby grinchy steve » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:33 pm

I think it are nonsens and Wilder has a personal problem with the fact the new generation will know Depp as Wonka and Tim Burton's film as the great film by the book. I'm not pro-Depp, not pro-Wilder, but first things first. Eve a name like Tim Burton has producers and studios where he has to handle with. Maybe they pushed him for taking Depp. Thinking about the fact Corpse Bride was filmed in between, the saving in costs are a big thing. By example, there was Ridley Scott wanting Russel Crowe for 'Kingdom of Heaven'. Russel Crowe had that Oscar, starred in Gladiator and is a big name all over the world. The studios however wanted Orlando Bloom, because he's a hype right now. Can you believe that? There's Crowe, fine actor and everyone was pushing Scott for Bloom. A not so great actor, at least not for a relative heavy role like that.

But even if Burton had the name in mind from the start, a remake is not always about money. The first movie is -like the original King Kong- not something that keeps young people interested these theys. I can tell, I have a sister of that said that movie was old and dumb en the dialogues were like, well, retard. They just don't swallow it anymore these days. So this update was welcome. And honestly, with the fans, studios, producers, and so on going wild by the idea Burton would do it, that means something. Maybe it realy was time.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby cotton » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:00 am

I love Earth Girls but Once Bitten is my fave 80's movie.
www.youtube.com/user/jimcarreyonline
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby Retard_Messiah » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:57 pm

I think it is the same for me. I have seen "Earht giirls..." to many times.
Retard_Messiah
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby MandyCarrey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:35 pm

I love earth girls are easy and Once Bitten!... Jim and damon look so cute in earth girls are easy lol... it wud be kool if they did a proj together agen..... i gotta say in earth girls are easy i dnt like tht bit where u see all the aliens ans stuff in gena davis' dream lol i usually wind past tht bit lol! :shock:
MandyCarrey
Yes Man

Postby KC8t80 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:19 am

i'm voting for a 'in living color' reunion special.
I am part of an elite group of people......THE MEN OF JCO.

(Standing member since July 18th, 2005)

THE FEW AND THE PROUD!!!!
KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby jims_lost_daughter » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:13 pm

i bought this movie not long ago.. i love it.. it is awsome... so hilarious.. and i love how the girls love Jim hehe... very funny... 2 thumbs up!
jims_lost_daughter
Yes Man

PreviousNext

Return to Older Movies