Jim Carrey Online

Jim Carrey - Close Up

Comment current news topics here. Including TV appearances by Jim.
Check also the Jim Carrey Schedule (always up-to-date)

Jim Carrey - Close Up

Postby carreyd away » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:07 am

From Entertainment Weekly June 17, 2005

Face Time
How Martin Schoeller takes photos -- The renowned photographer talks about his ''big head'' portrait technique by Michael Kochman

''With regular people, it's not so hard to take an honest picture,'' notes photographer Martin Schoeller, ''but celebrities tend to always be posing. Actors never stop acting. It's hard to get a picture that feels like you're seeing the person and not just the face they are putting on.''

Hard, but not impossible, as Schoeller — a frequent ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY contributor and one of the most in-demand editorial photographers working today — demonstrates in his new book, Close Up ($55, teNeues Publishing). The 112-page tome displays 75 famous faces — culled from more than 300 shoots between 1996 and the present — in incredibly tight portraits that are stunning for their intimacy and unretouched honesty. Forced out of their comfort zones by what Schoeller, 37, calls ''an uncomfortable situation where it's bright and the lights are really kind of close,'' his subjects reveal a humanity rarely seen in modern portraiture.

The German-born Schoeller developed and refined his ''big head'' portrait technique, as he describes it, while working as an assistant to photographer Annie Leibovitz in the mid-'90s. He set out on his own in 1996 with the intention of creating photos that ''are more than just pretty colors and nice lighting and interesting clothes.'' He adds, ''I never had a problem getting close to people, and I think that's what it comes down to: Your personality comes through in your pictures.''

Here, Schoeller shares his insights on a selection of portraits from Close Up, though he insists that it's not his job to judge his subjects. ''The judging,'' he says, ''is up to the viewer.''

Caption reads: Jim Carrey He Made a lot of funny faces, so I'm glad I got an inbetween moment when he wasn't spinning his eyes or making a crazy face. There's some torment in the picture. He has a lot of depth to him.

It also has photos of Chuck Berry, Prince, Tammy Faye Bakker, Angelina Jolie, Usher, Colin Farrell and others.

You're welcome ladies :lol:
carreyd away
A Christmas Carol

Postby cableclair » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:18 am

HEYYY I browsed through that book YESTERDAY :-). Every picture has the exact same pose, a straight on closeup of the face, Jack Nickelson is on the cover and me being me I always have to browse a coffeetable photobook to check if Jim is in it, oogle at it for minutes and smile, to then put it back because coffeetable photobooks are way over my budget.
cableclair
The Number 23

Postby samurai_cable » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:28 pm

That is a really cool picture :D Thanks so much for that~!!
"I decided that I wanted to make movies that would uplift people." - Jim Carrey
samurai_cable
I Love You Phillip Morris

Postby Janel » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:35 pm

A relative of mine was in a situation where he had the opportunity to meet Jim a few years ago. He said that as Jim shook his hand he looked into his eyes and he described the experience as "completely disarming". He said that he felt like Jim had looked into his soul, was completely focused on the moment, unlike the many other celebs he has met. That picture is fabulous. Thanks, carreyd away!!
Janel
The Cable Guy

Postby quirky » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:11 pm

He said that he felt like Jim had looked into his soul, was completely focused on the moment

That I can believe for some reason. I think that's why a minimal fan, turned into a big one. Or as fluffy calls us...deluded obsessionals.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:58 am

I beg to differ Quirky, I am not obssssseeddd with the man... I actualy feel for him and I wish him the best because he is not getting any younger- :cry: I wish I could stop him from aging-I wish I could stop everyone from aging- :?
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby quirky » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:32 pm

I was kidding around. He looks better as he gets older. He has very soulful eyes.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

So familiar...

Postby Canadian Jayne » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:33 pm

To me his face is so familiar to me.
Strange!
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Lana » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:42 pm

this is one heck of a pic , his eyes are the most beautiful eyes i've ever seen.thanks for the pic.
Charades , pop skill , Water hyacinth , named by a poet. Imitation of life.
>>>>tangerine<<<<
Lana
Dumb & Dumber

Postby Nicole Fiction » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:00 pm

I've been a subscriber to Entertainment Weekly for over a year now. I recently got that issue in the mail. Jim hasn't been in that mag lately, so seeing his face so unexpectedly was a nice suprise. A unique and great pic of him, too. :)
Nicole Fiction
The Truman Show

Postby fluffy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:10 pm

beg to differ Quirky, I am not obsessed with the man... I actualy feel for him and I wish him the best because he is not getting any younger- I wish I could stop him from aging-I wish I could stop everyone from aging-
lol.............well i for one don't have any issue with him aging.............lol..........i think he gets hotter by the year........and by that equation he'll be one hell of a sexy pensioner............
Experience and knowledge are sexy...........age increases and develops both............so age makes you sexier........... :wink:

Quirky......... and
as for deluded obsessionals

nope...........i'm neither......lol......i have no delusions of grandeur there...lol............i'm more likely to gaze upon God himself than Jim.... :wink: ..........
plus i doubt i'm his type anyhow.......intelligent, funny, independent, challenging, blonde, stacked...Cheeky...lol.........nope.....not his type at all....lol........i'd be too much like hard work........ :wink:

fluffy :P
Last edited by fluffy on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby fluffy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:13 pm

It's a nice picture.............the best ones are usually done slightly off guard..........when you have the pic posed, lighting great and you talk to the person..........they're not quite ready....a millisecond out........but enough to capture the essense of the person rather than their character........... :wink:

Fluffy :P
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

jimbo LOL

Postby roz » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:47 am

the picture was realy cool 8)
Jim Carrey IS THE BEST ACTOR I HAVE EVER SEEN
roz
Once Bitten

Postby mav » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:35 am

Nice close-up. Belated thanks, Carreyd_Away!

One may age and the face wrinkle, but the eyes don't! I see old people's eye's and it is invariably the best feature I find in young and old alike...
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:17 am

It was in the Sinday....(oops Sunday :wink:) ...telegraph this week......some of the photos are almost shockingly revealing....when you strip away the artifice there remains a visually unimpressive individual......Chris Walken looks terrible........and Jackie Stallone just awful.......she looks as though a couple of tarantulas have taken up residence in her eyes.....
But Jimmy.......his photo works......he looks stripped clean of Jim Carrey the Funnyman and becomes James Eugene Carrey the man........
it's an honest picture.....it shows depth to the MAN......not the Star......
In fact such is it's simple honesty that he looks even more handsome in it.......If he were Joe average...he would still be incredibly handsome....he doesn't need the stylists and make up artists......

he can just be himself and still be amazing........... He's a class act.. :wink:
Fluffy :P
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Next

Return to Stop The Press!