Jim Carrey Online

Independent Jim

Jim Carrey discussion on non-movie related topics or topics which doesn't fit anywhere else...

Independent Jim

Postby grinchy steve » Fri May 26, 2006 3:50 pm

I heard it several times. What should Jim Carrey do in the future?

I was thinking and ... I'd like to see Jim Carrey in a more alternative film. Eternal Sunshine was coming close, very close. But I want more of that. You know, a little film driven by the whole atmosphere and those little characters that make you laugh and cry at the same time, those little wonderfull films.

Looking for examples? Well, Adam Sandler had 'Punch-Drunk Love', Steve Carell has 'Little Miss Sunshine' so I'm thinking 'The Life Aquatic', 'the Squid and the Whale', 'Broken Flowers' ... (I'll post some more and better examples later)

I think Jim can pull off something like that, I really believe he can.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby quirky » Fri May 26, 2006 4:40 pm

'Punch-Drunk Love',

Saw this movie. Didn't love it. Wished someone would punch me.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Linda Marin » Fri May 26, 2006 4:41 pm

So many people I talk to about film, state that ESOTSM is their absolute favourite film of the past few years, if not of all time.

But I think thats as close as he's gonna get to indie filmaking again. Jim gave such a moving performance...but didnt get the right notices. So its not worth it to him I think. He's turning into a blockbuster boy, our Jim.

But another reason is that, from all acounts, he was very difficult and argumentative on the ESOTSM set. Very demanding, needy of attention, with not a lot of faith in Michel Gondry's ideas, or even quite dismissive of them.

Needless to say the interviews and commentary on the special edition of the DVD do not indicate a 'lovefest' between Michel and Jim.

If he's gonna get involved in indie film again, he's gonna have to get his act together. Its 'one in all in' on those 'guerilla' type films. No egos allowed.

But our boy is a competitive man and a control freak. I dont think its gonna happen.
Linda Marin
Pink Cadillac

Postby quirky » Fri May 26, 2006 4:43 pm

If he's gonna get involved in indie film again, he's gonna have to get his act together. Its 'one in all in' on those 'guerilla' type films. No egos allowed.

Look at the performance he gave.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Linda Marin » Fri May 26, 2006 5:01 pm

The character seemed 'ego-less' if thats what you mean...

But Jim seems to get domineering and stubborn when he believes his idea is right and the 'only' way it can be done - which doesn't work on low budget indie films. Or maybe he gets that way if he doesnt really like someone?? Poor little Michel had his hands full, thats for sure.

Jims such an Alpha-male. Grrrrrr.
Linda Marin
Pink Cadillac

Postby quirky » Fri May 26, 2006 5:47 pm

But Jim seems to get domineering and stubborn when he believes his idea is right and the 'only' way it can be done

Well...we wouldn't make a good couple...because I'm like this, too.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Filomena » Fri May 26, 2006 7:17 pm

I'd love to see him do more indies as well. I'm getting so tired of the movies that are "studio" films.

As for Jim being argumentative and dismissive -- hmmmm, it doesn't seem like our boy. But I bet he's more stubborn than most people know.

Like a sweet, little boy that doesn't get his way all the time. He needs a spanking, don't he?

Jim, bend over. :)
The truth shall set you free.
Filomena
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby fluffy » Fri May 26, 2006 7:30 pm

lol........he's a perfectionist i guess.....i think if you have conviction in your work and you have the ability to make it happen you will stand your ground..........i'd be disapointed if he didn't......
re being temperamental.........we have no idea really.......but he's a creative genius, depth, introspection and moodiness usually go hand in hand with creativity..........and i'm a sucker for an artistic man..... :lol:.........but even if he's not , it's whatever works for him...

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Linda Marin » Fri May 26, 2006 11:35 pm

fluffy wrote:he's a perfectionist i guess.....i think if you have conviction in your work and you have the ability to make it happen you will stand your ground...but he's a creative genius, depth, introspection and moodiness usually go hand in hand with creativity...

It seemed to be the running theme of the ESOTISM DVD interviews...Jim and Michel at it again over, and over again. Could be a clash of personalities.

Got to the point where Jim nearly punched Michel out over a bath scene - Jim claiming he had to take the 'male protector role' for kate winslet. *sigh* ...that just gave me goosebumps...

Anyway, he did the same thing on Dumb and Dumber...refusing to shoot an alternate ending scene.

This genius man has stubborn conviction, for sure. ...Ooooh, goosebumps again......(Why is it always the bad boys that get you going??)
Linda Marin
Pink Cadillac

Postby fluffy » Fri May 26, 2006 11:45 pm

lol.... :lol: :lol: .........i don't think he's a bad boy.....lol...just one with great courage of his convictions.........*goosebumps ahoy!*........lol......
and he was dead right in Dumb and Dumber.............full credit :wink:
lol.....imagine Jimmy getting all protective over you on a set??.....lol.......*dreams*..........lol...how wonderful....... :wink: ........and didn't he save Jennifer Aniston from falling equipment on the Bruce Almighty set???..........lol.....the boy's a veritable hero..... :lol:

Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Linda Marin » Sat May 27, 2006 5:26 am

Oh...he's a bad boy alright. Smooth and dangerous.. Hey, even Oprah noted that by all accounts he was 'really good at sex'. The only way to get that way is with practice, practice and more practice, my friends.. Not something a choir boy could handle...

Anyway, I digress. Ahem...Sorry.

In all seriousness...an arthouse film would be good for him - character issues aside. Get him back to real gritty filmaking. Maybe he should produce one himself? Or maybe even direct???!!! Hey thats an idea. The perfect controlling role for our favourite perfectionist!! :wink:
Linda Marin
Pink Cadillac

Postby fluffy » Sat May 27, 2006 10:23 am

oh my linda... :shock: ............i'm gonna need a cold shower........i concede.............i far prefer your theory...........lol......it's much more fun............ :wink:

Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby trishroberts » Sat May 27, 2006 11:02 am

Maybe now Jim seems to have a window in his schedule he will squeeze in an indie film. That would be fab.
trishroberts
Man on the Moon

Postby fluffy » Sat May 27, 2006 11:09 am

nah.........hes only got a few months off.......he might have time to investigate it though......... :D ...........i'd like to see him write his own again.......... :lol:

Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Anna Chalova » Sat May 27, 2006 2:21 pm

wait...wait...wait

I believe, Jim'll amaze us!
8)
"I really want to love somebody. I do. I just don't know if it's possible forever and ever." JC
(\(\.........../)/)
(=',').......(','=)
(..(")(")(")(")..)
Anna Chalova
Dumb and Dumber To

Next

Return to The Speakeasy