Jim Carrey Online

In praise of 'Man on the Moon'........

Discuss older Jim Carrey movies.

In praise of 'Man on the Moon'........

Postby fluffy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:06 am

Ok the other MOTM thread below is all about 'tum tee tums'......parrap parrap...tiddle dee dee..........etc etc..........

this one is about the movie.............not the 'tiddle dee dee's'....lol

I watched it again tonight .............OMG......what an amazing performance...............so diverse in execution.................so very very authentic................and just so sensitively done...........
The bits that get me are the saddest.............1) when he tells his friends in the cafe he has cancer.............he did that such justice.........
if you have a sense of humour you always resort to that when the shit hits the fan................and the Black humour surfaces.........and Jim did just that................portraying it with such sensitivety.....such pain................i was inconsolable!!!!!!!!

2) Then when he's just watching the sunset..........desperately ill...........OMG..........soooo sad..................i just wanted to cuddle all the pain away.................. :cry:

of course being a Jim fan it was weird watching him morph from a big handsome strapping hunk of a man..........to a pale, bald, thin, ill looking one..................but boy did he pull it off...........i just wanted to envelop him in my arms.............lol...........

well anyway..................i just had to get that off my chest......lol..........

i was simply enthralled and engaged throughout...........and i've seen it a few times now................but i wanted to bore you all with my musings..............lol............ :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Conor » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:56 pm

yeah...its ok.....not my favorite.....which is why i sold it.....but its still ok..
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Postby mav » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:29 pm

It's a 'perfect' movie IMO.

This oscar thing.... I didn't mind it much earlier, but it is perplexing me now. MOTM and Eternal Sunshine are two performances that should have been nominated. The characters were so real and believable. What are the voters really looking for, I wonder?

ya, the scene where he breaks the news of him having cancer is my favorite too. When he cries, he makes you cry.....
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:03 pm

he's obviously not had sex with enough of the judges yet............lol

Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby hutch » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:43 pm

Ok, I hate to say this, but I have NEVER seen Man on the Moon.
I was a fan of Andy Kaufman, and when Man on the Moon came on TV - I watched the first 20 minutes of it.
Jim was SOOO ON in his performance - I had to stop watching it.

Maybe one of these days I shall get the nerve to rent it.
Ms. Hutch
hutch
Introducing Janet

Postby fluffy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:44 pm

um.......... :oops: .........soreee.........but i don't get the Jim was 'so on'.....................i'm Scottish.....no comprende......lol

Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Conor » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:28 am

so on means....like....he was acting exactly as andy acted....in other words as Jim has said he wasnt Jim at the time he was andy in real life when he wasnt shooting too.
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Postby quirky » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:29 pm

hutch wrote:Ok, I hate to say this, but I have NEVER seen Man on the Moon.
I was a fan of Andy Kaufman, and when Man on the Moon came on TV - I watched the first 20 minutes of it.
Jim was SOOO ON in his performance - I had to stop watching it.

Maybe one of these days I shall get the nerve to rent it.

I know what you mean. It's like he wasn't acting, he was channeling.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby KC8t80 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:42 pm

Just to put this out there, but he almost got nominated for an Oscar for the Truman Show too.

Anyway.....I loved the movie too. i was feeling the same you all your feeling during the sad scenes. After watching those scenes, i just wanted to be left alone to grieve for Jim (errrrr Andy). But I try to think of the moments the most. Like the scenes with Andy as Tony Cliffton. lol :lol: . awww....good times good times 8)
I am part of an elite group of people......THE MEN OF JCO.

(Standing member since July 18th, 2005)

THE FEW AND THE PROUD!!!!
KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby carreyd away » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:20 pm

I've talked to Lynne Marguiles, the woman who Courtney Love played in the movie. She told me when she was on the set with Jim, it was like having Andy back. It really messed with her, but she loves him for his performance. Can you imagine what that woman went through? Talk about a stellar performance. She said he wasn't imitating Andy, he had become Andy and it was hard for her at times to shake it off. Incredible...
carreyd away
A Christmas Carol

Postby cotton » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:41 pm

Yea she said she wanted to pay Jim to be Andy once a month and take her out to eat.
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby Jimenem » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:42 pm

I only have that movie because it's got Jim in it. I was never too crazey about andy kauffman.
Jimenem
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby cotton » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:42 pm

Did you buy that Tony Clifton DVD with Jim on it, CarreydAway?
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby KC8t80 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:52 pm

:shock: THERE'S A TONY CLIFFTON DVD?
I am part of an elite group of people......THE MEN OF JCO.

(Standing member since July 18th, 2005)

THE FEW AND THE PROUD!!!!
KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby comicpisces11 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:08 am

I loved MOTM. One of my favorite movies, most likely because I've been a huge Andy Kaufman fan since I was a little girl. I'm really lucky to have some really rare Andy stuff...home videos, a pilot that never aired and a book he wrote that made me curl up in the fetal position and cry for 3 hours a few weeks ago. Kaufman was an absolute genius. I never think of MOTM as a Carrey movie. I didn't see Jim the entire time...I only saw Andy.
Profound words are not clever. Clever words are not profound. -Verse 81 of the Tao Te Ching
comicpisces11
The Mask

Next

Return to Older Movies