Jim Carrey Online

Cannibal Corpse

Jim Carrey discussion on non-movie related topics or topics which doesn't fit anywhere else...

Cannibal Corpse

Postby dfghdfgh » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:16 pm

I'm sure you guys know that the american death metal band Cannibal Corpse appeared in Ace Ventura : Pet Detective and i have a question. I've used the search tool on this forum aswell as searched the internet but i can't find the info that will answer me. I came here because i knew you guys would be able to help me.

So, my question is ; Did Jim actually ask CC to be in the movie because he was a fan of theirs at the time? And also if anyone knows, is he still a fan if he ever was?

Thanks.
dfghdfgh
Introducing Janet

Postby quirky » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:42 pm

I really don't know...

But welcome to JCO!!

"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby carreyd away » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:43 am

I saw an interview with Tom Shadyac and he said Jim was a fan of the band and brought them into the movie.

Conor, if you like metal, these guys are hella metal!
carreyd away
A Christmas Carol

Postby quirky » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:21 am

Well...it made me wonder. If you were a cannibal...you wouldn't have a corpse, right? I mean I'm assuming you'd use the ribs and any bones for soup?
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby KC8t80 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:47 am

hahaha......makes u wonder doesn't it?

ya i forgot that Jim said he was a fan of that kind of metal for a while....dunno if he still is though.
I am part of an elite group of people......THE MEN OF JCO.

(Standing member since July 18th, 2005)

THE FEW AND THE PROUD!!!!
KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby dfghdfgh » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:00 am

Ok, thanks for your help guys.
dfghdfgh
Introducing Janet

Postby Filomena » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:23 pm

I'm going to be really blunt here, but death metal has to be one of the most offensive, vulgar and disgusting types of music that was ever created.

I was curious so I found the lyrics to some of the songs, and holy cow! It was glorifying violence and physical abuse, and was degrading to everyone, but especially woman.

The people who write this kind of garbage are not musicians, and not even entertainors. They are obviously supressing some kind of rage, which is obvious when you read the words to their songs. As far as I'm concerned, their music is a cry for help.

I was very disappointed when I read that Cannibal Corpse was Jim's favourite band. I didn't think he was the type to find this kind of human degradation and violence enjoyable. Hopefully, it's in his past and he's moved on. (must have been an interesting time though)
The truth shall set you free.
Filomena
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Maybe DEEP down he hates women???

Postby Canadian Jayne » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:57 pm

There are days I hate Men, so one never knows, when a lady pisses him off maybe he cranks up the stereo and listens to it. Who knows.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby dfghdfgh » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:38 pm

Filomena wrote:I'm going to be really blunt here, but death metal has to be one of the most offensive, vulgar and disgusting types of music that was ever created.

I was curious so I found the lyrics to some of the songs, and holy cow! It was glorifying violence and physical abuse, and was degrading to everyone, but especially woman.

The people who write this kind of garbage are not musicians, and not even entertainors. They are obviously supressing some kind of rage, which is obvious when you read the words to their songs. As far as I'm concerned, their music is a cry for help.

I was very disappointed when I read that Cannibal Corpse was Jim's favourite band. I didn't think he was the type to find this kind of human degradation and violence enjoyable. Hopefully, it's in his past and he's moved on. (must have been an interesting time though)

You're reaction was the goal of thse lyrics when they were written.

Understand?

And there are DM bands that have no gore in their lyrics which completely trump any popular music in terms of composition, technicallity and musicianship.
dfghdfgh
Introducing Janet

Postby fluffy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:36 pm

like Tracey Emins unmade bed.............it won the Turner Prize............
but it was about the contoversy it caused, she wanted to provoke the viewer, THAT was the point.......

I'm really into that approach to art and music.................if it makes you question it, and then yourself and your ideas, then THAT'S an art in itself...........
I'm sure the Cannibal boys are really quite decent blokes, and they've succeeded in making people think about something..............

Which is more than a lot of pop drivel does................lol..............

lol........that's not to say i'd choose to boogie to it though...........lol......

fluffy :wink:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Filomena » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:19 pm

I guess this is one of those topics that is very subjective.

But if someone's goal is to make another person feel pain, then I just question the entertainment value of their "art".

I felt pain, anger, sorrow and a whole bunch of other negative emotions. I don't want to feel that when I listen to music, that's all. I get enough of that at home.

Maybe other victims of abuse can relate to what I'm talking about.
The truth shall set you free.
Filomena
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby dfghdfgh » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:30 pm

Filomena wrote:I guess this is one of those topics that is very subjective.

But if someone's goal is to make another person feel pain, then I just question the entertainment value of their "art".

I felt pain, anger, sorrow and a whole bunch of other negative emotions. I don't want to feel that when I listen to music, that's all. I get enough of that at home.

Maybe other victims of abuse can relate to what I'm talking about.

I'm sorry to hear that your as gullable as to think that the members of CC or any other DM band would do any of the things they sing about. In no way do they advocate or practice the things they write about. It is just art remember.
dfghdfgh
Introducing Janet

Postby fluffy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:34 pm

I don't like their stuff............God no...........lol.........all i'm saying is that art is about pushing boundaries........

but i question the authenticity of the stuff anyhow...........surely it's tongue in cheek??..........Their lyrics are frankly revolting..............i agree completely..........all that ghastly stuff about rotting brains and meat hooks.......lol......

Which makes me think they are being ironic...........almost pointing out the sick fascination in the gory and macabre........
And this in turn makes me think Jim might have been doing the same.....he likes U2 and the Stones...........you can't sing and dance to Corpse.........

perhaps he does like them musically..........but perhaps he likes them socially more............i don't know..........
but whatever, technically the music is on very dodgy ground.......and lyrically it's just childish and ghastly................

but art is art.............and boundaries are there to be pushed...........

Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Are they? Are boundaries to be pushed or are they there for

Postby Canadian Jayne » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:50 pm

Protection.
Boundaries can protect in some ways. Just because a line is there one does not have to jump over it, perhaps it's a signal of danger!
Pulling, pushing, overstepping, can be cause for destruction rather than for develpement.
Will the Circle be Unbroken?
Making the Unshockable, shockable.
I think I'd rather have boundaries than have all the boundaries come tumbling down and smothering us all.
Art has pushed things to the boundaries at times making beautiful things turn to ugliness if pushing a boundary means changing something into the grotesque, blackness and inhumanity then I'm glad to encompass the Theory and safeness of Boundaries. Amen to Boundaries.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:56 pm

I have a philosophy and art history background.............i guess i've been kinda trained to look at stuff differently............

And boundaries are good to a degree but life will always push boundaries.......fact is always stranger than fiction..........you've gotta remember that their lyrics are just fiction.............

But i'm not disagreeing with you about the music..........it is crap.........lol.

at least they don't get any airplay......... :wink:

Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Next

Return to The Speakeasy