Jim Carrey Online

Why is he called Jim if his real name is James?

Jim Carrey discussion on non-movie related topics or topics which doesn't fit anywhere else...

Why is he called Jim if his real name is James?

Postby kasper » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:59 am

Where the heck did the name "Jim" come from if his real name is James? ... It's been driving me crazy for like... ever.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it if you'd help me out here.
kasper
Dumb and Dumber To

Re: Where does Jim come from if his name is James?

Postby JimCarreyschick » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:10 am

Hi Kasper,

This just just a guess but I'm guess Jim Carrey likes to be called Jim instead of James because it's shorter maybe. I've only known him to be called Jim at first but the I heard that Jim was short for James. Maybe Jim Carrey would rather go by Jim instead of James.

Jen Carrey! :)
aka jimcarreyschick
JimCarreyschick
Horton Hears a Who!

Postby samurai_cable » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:54 am

Yeah! And besides, Jim is more "catchy" than James. He's like a funny guy, so Jim suits him better :)
"I decided that I wanted to make movies that would uplift people." - Jim Carrey
samurai_cable
I Love You Phillip Morris

Postby asrai » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:29 pm

Jim is just short for James. My husband's name is James and goes by Jim also. If you know anyone named Jim, his actual name is most likely James.
asrai
Once Bitten

Postby IloveJimCarrey » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:30 am

yeah, totally, i dunno for sure why, but most people named james are called Jim, and yeah it does suit him better, it's "funnier"
Maybe there is no actual place called hell. Maybe hell is just having to listen to our grandparents breathe through their noses when they're eating sandwiches.
-Jim Carrey
IloveJimCarrey
The Dead Pool

Postby Cheryl Anna » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:36 am

My great-uncle's name is Homer, but he likes to be called Jim (His middle name is James-and he doesn't like the name Homer).
My Dad's name is William, but everyone calls him Bill (Billy when he was little).
My Mom's name is Virginia, but everyone calls her Ginger.
My Grandma's name is Buena Esther-but everyone calls her Esther.
My brother's name is Steven-but everyone (but me-I call him Steven Butt) calls him Steve. (Except my Dad calls him Stevie)
My name is Cheryl, but when I was in Germany as a teen everyone there called me Anna (Easier to say-and its my middle name-or as they say ihre zweite Name).
Cheryl Anna
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby syd pridel » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:45 pm

I think maybe he could be called both its just that
Jim stuck.

at first I just thought that as he got more known
he changed it to Jim but in
'the dead pool'
'pink cadilac'
'itsy bitsy spider'
and 'in living color'
he is credited as james Carrey.
but he did things before that as Jim Carrey
for example 'the duck factory'

perhaps ther is no reason..
it just stuck..

thats just what i think anyway
http://www.randomboo.com/

Exclamation of contempt occurring without definite aim reason or pattern

http://conscienceofconsciousness.randomboo.com/
syd pridel
High Strung

Postby jims_lost_daughter » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:26 pm

and its a short form, alot of people do it. Why do people call william BILL? stupid, they dont relate, but ppl do it. lol
jims_lost_daughter
Yes Man

RE: James Carrey.

Postby Countess Olafina squalor » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:35 am

James is my dad's name too.
yours sincerly, Countess Olafina equalor
Countess Olafina squalor
The Majestic

Postby Jimenem » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:48 pm

My name is Melvin but people call me J.R. (because I'm a Junior, as in I share a my name with my dad) But most of the time people call me Binx or Jimenem These are just nicknames. Long stories.

What people refer to you as depends on what you tell them the first time you meet them or How you sign certain Papers. For example My Parents call me JR but my Teachers Call me Melvin, because thats the name I registered under. Jim may have signed a few papers as James when he did those shows/movies, Therefor the studio is Obligated to Credit him as such. It really comes down to a prefference.
Jimenem
Dumb and Dumber To

RE: James Carrey.

Postby Countess Olafina squalor » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:06 am

Yeah, i also have a robot servant named James who speaks in a perfect brtitsh accent and serves me daily (including weekends and holidays). Being a techno wiz, i happen to know my way around gadgets and can pratically escape any situation using hi tech gizmos.
yours sincerly, Countess Olafina equalor
Countess Olafina squalor
The Majestic

Postby Jimenem » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:38 pm

Why do I get the feeling you are no longer joking. :shock:

I've been working with DNA, and I've succesfully cloned a human being. She speaks in a british accent too.

It's actually a very messy precedure. :wink:
Jimenem
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:04 pm

lol.......(altogether now....!!).................on no you haven't...........lol...

there are no cloned humans.............but bizarrely enough Dolly the first cloned creature (the sheep) was born/cloned at the Rosyln Insitute ...just outside Edinburgh................so we SCOT'S invented cloning .....(along with just about everything else..........lol)
but Rosyln is a weird and spititual place............they have more UFO sightings than anywhere else.............AND it has something to do with the Holy Grail...................see the Da Vinci Code..............

so to be correct you really need to talking in a Scot's accent......remembering to roll your R's........... :wink:

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby mav » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:29 am

fluffy wrote:so to be correct you really need to talking in a Scot's accent......remembering to roll your R's........... :wink:

:lol ...the 'R' in any language is such a challenge. I've driven my poor tongue to despair over the french 'R', the spanish 'R'.... i've sadly realized I can never 'get it'. Currently I'm trying out dog barks...(why do dog's bark at me?) honestly, it's much easier. And no, like Cotton, I'm not on drugs or anything... :lol

Back to the topic, I don't think anybody ever addressed him as 'James' in real life. In ILC3 I see everybody calling him Jim. It's only on paper I think, and Jimenems 'signed on paper' theory sounds like a good guess.
-
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby cotton » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:24 am

:lol ...the 'R' in any language is such a challenge. I've driven my poor tongue to despair over the french 'R', the spanish 'R'.... i've sadly realized I can never 'get it'. Currently I'm trying out dog barks...(why do dog's bark at me?) honestly, it's much easier. And no, like Cotton, I'm not on drugs or anything... :lol

Ahhh I would love to hear you speak dog language! lol
www.youtube.com/user/jimcarreyonline
cotton
JCO Staff

Next

Return to The Speakeasy