Jim Carrey Online

Stupid subtitles

Jim Carrey discussion on non-movie related topics or topics which doesn't fit anywhere else...

Stupid subtitles

Postby lisa250 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:25 pm

i don't know how many non-enlish people are on this board but i was wondering...One of my closest friends doesn't like Jim at all. She doesn't hate him,she calls him agrevating (is that spelled right?you know what i mean). i think it has to do with the fact that she doesn't understand much english. if you just have to rely on subtitles it sux. They don't translate half of the jokes. luckely they don't dub over here but that's done frequently in other european countries.

what do you guys think??

PS:we went to Italy with school in the easter holiday and they played Bruce in the bus. when she said something about him,she got me and like 3 people who also heard and who are into movies against her. :roll: the rest of the day was filled with Ace Ventura impressions.
lisa250

Postby joy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:37 pm

That`s true some jokes only sound good in English and you can lose a lot if you don`t speack it.I don`t understand why in countries like Germany,Italy or France they have to dub over it can really ruin a movie and actors express a lot thru their voices so dubing doesn`t help.
joy
Mike Hammer: Murder Takes All

Postby quirky » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:45 pm

Lisa - there are many many English speakers who also think Jim is annoying.

I'm not one of them, but I have some friends who are. We just don't fight about it.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Cheryl Anna » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:37 pm

On dvd's, I use the English subtitles for the hearing impaired. Some subtitles are so abbreviated, and they gloss over the swear words (they're thinking: "you don't need to see that, now, deary"-I want to see it all-I mean, its in the story).
The best for english subtitles for the hearing impaired is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. They show it all. (There might be others-I'm not sure.)
Cheryl Anna
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby samurai_cable » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:49 pm

Yeah, but with non-english speakers, they usually put on the subtitles of their own language. I've watched Liar Liar with chinese subtitles, some of it is really really wrong, like when Audrey says to Jerry, "Well, he does the claw." they translate is completely wrong as "Max does the claw." when it's supposed to be Fletcher.... Didn't get the facts straight at all.... I know people who don't like Jim just because they think he overdoes things. I also had a person who said that Jim was a ***t actor, it got me really angry... but I didn't want to make a scene..... *sigh* I don't know anyone at my school who'se obsessed as me... so I have to avoid talking about him, and I also stopped dragging my friends to see Jim Carrey movies with me. Makes me sad.... because nobody understands.... luckily there's the forum :) This is completely off topic now.. so i'll just stop.
"I decided that I wanted to make movies that would uplift people." - Jim Carrey
samurai_cable
I Love You Phillip Morris

Postby Jimenem » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:44 pm

I noticed in the subtitles to The Mask, The scene where he's at the mirror and he says "P-A-R-T- WHY? Because I Gotta" They totally screwed it up in the subtitles they put: P-A-R-T-Y why? because I MUST .

MUST??? I mean c'mon!! Give me a break!! that sounds really queer! no offence to N E body but Geeze! Imagine all the poor hearing impared people who totaly missed that really cool moment of Jim Carrey Uniqueness!!(sp?) What a drag.
Jimenem
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:54 pm

It is not Jim who might make people think he is annoying-it is his caracters...he has nothing to do with that!
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Return to The Speakeasy