Jim Carrey Online

Top 10 Halloween DVD for Kids

Jim Carrey discussion on non-movie related topics or topics which doesn't fit anywhere else...

Top 10 Halloween DVD for Kids

Postby jimliker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Top 10 Halloween DVD for kids at Hollywood.com:
http://www.hollywood.com/feature/Top_10 ... ds/5334516

10. Casper

The Lowdown on the Boo: We all know Casper is a friendly ghost--but he's lonely, too. He'd love to have friends but he can't help scaring people away. Then, one day, two new visitors show up on the doorstep of his fantastically haunted house, Whipstaff Manor: Kat Harvey (Christina Ricci) and her eccentric dad, Dr. Harvey (Bill Pullman), a self-styled ""ghost therapist."" And Casper is just as happy as he can be.

Scary Rating, 1: Just ghoulish fun for the whole family!

9. The Little Vampire

What's a Little Blood Between Friends: It is not easy being a 9-year-old in a new country, but Tony (Jonathan Lipnicki) is trying to make the best of it. He has just moved with his parents from a big bustling city in America to a small village in a remote corner of Scotland. Talk about a culture shock. But Tony wants to fit in and soon becomes fascinated with the vampire mythology that permeates this small Scottish burg—and there's no way the boy can be prepared for who he meets next: a 9-year-old vampire boy named Rudolph (Rollo Weeks). Imagine that!

Scary Rating, 2: This even makes vampires warm and family-oriented.

8. Scooby-Doo

Ruh-Roh!: Two years after a clash of egos forced Mystery Inc. to close its doors, Scooby-Doo and his clever crime-solving cohorts Fred (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Daphne (Sarah Michelle Geller), Shaggy (Matthew Lillard) and Velma (Linda Cardellini) are individually summoned to Spooky Island to investigate a series a paranormal incidents at the ultra-hip Spring Break hot spot.

Scary Rating, 2: For the Zoinks! factor alone. Loads of silly fun -- and Scooby snacks.

7. The Haunted Mansion

We're Just Dying to Have You Over for Dinner: Based on the ever-popular Disney theme park ride, we meet realtor Jim Evers (Eddie Murphy) and his wife and business partner Sara (Marsha Thomason), who get a call late one night from mansion owner Edward Gracey (Nathaniel Parker), looking to sell his property. Smelling the biggest deal of their career, Jim, Sara and their two children pay a visit to the mansion, located on a remote bayou. Nothing good is going to come from this.

Scary Rating, 3: Save for a few skeletons in the, uh, family crypt, Eddie Murphy and gang are hilarious.

6. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas

Halloween Isn't What It Used to Be: Despite having recently presided over a very successful Halloween and all things that go bump in the night, Jack Skellington (Chris Sarandon), aka the Pumpkin King, is nonetheless bored with his job and feels that life in Halloween Town lacks meaning. Then he stumbles upon Christmas Town and realizes how amazing it is -- and decided to unite the two holidays.

Scary Rating, 3: This animated classic from the delightfully twisted mind of Tim Burton is a treat the whole family will enjoy.

5. Beetlejuice

Bioexorcist with the Most-est: A couple, Barbara and Adam (Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin), move to the country to live in their dream Victorian fix-it-upper -- only to be killed in a car accident. Their ghosts return to their beloved home to not only find out they are dead, but that a new "live" family is moving in. Get out!

Scary Rating, 6: Another gem from director Tim Burton. There's only a few moments to look away but mostly your kids will be laughing at Beetlejuice's antics.

4. Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Third Time's a Charm: That makes three in a row for Tim Burton, our resident director of chills and thrills for the younger set. Set in a 19th century European village, this stop-motion animated tale follows a young Victor (Johnny Depp), who is whisked away to the underworld and wed to a mysterious Corpse Bride (Helena Bonham Carter), while his real bride, Victoria (Emily Watson), waits bereft in the land of the living.

Scary Rating, 5: The visuals are sometimes very creepy, but the macabre Burton just knows what scares kids -- in a good way.

3. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Extremely Unpleasant Circumstances: The story of intelligent, charming, but unlucky siblings; 14-year-old Violet (Emily Browning) 12-year-old Klaus (Liam Aiken), and their infant sister, Sunny, who are suddenly orphaned when their house burns down, killing their parents. The executor of their parents estate sends the children to live with a distant relative, Count Olaf (Jim Carrey), they realize that he has dastardly designs on the Baudelaire family fortune.

Scary Rating, 5: Children in peril always makes for a scary situation -- until Jim Carrey pops up, mugging for the camera. Then you just have to giggle.

2. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone

"You're a Wizard, Harry": The first in the Harry Potter series, we meet Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe), a young boy who has learned to live with his bullying uncle and aunt. He's even learned to live with sleeping in the cupboard under the stairs. Even the impending arrival of his 11th birthday offers no excitement for Harry -- that is, until Harry learns that he is the orphaned son of two powerful wizards and possesses unique magical powers of his own. It's off to Hogwarts!

Scary Rating, 6: Although the Harry Potter movies do present some dark themes--and get darker and darker as the saga progresses--Sorcerer's Stone still offers much enchantment as well.

1. Monster House

Don't Let That Scary House Across the Street Fool You: In this animated tale, 12-year-old DJ Walters (Mitchel Tate Musso) has too much time on his hands and has taken it into his head that there's something weird about old man Nebbercracker's house across the street. The day before Halloween, DJ and his pal Chowder have a run-in with the house -- and then later the house tries to swallow their new friend Jenny (Spencer Locke). Turns out the house could quite possibly be alive with the spirit of Nebbercracker's mean old wife who died in it years ago.

Scary Rating, 10: Saving the best -- and definitely the most thrilling -- for last, this should send your little ones dashing into the bathroom to brush their teeth. You know, when it gets a little too scary.

Edited by Admin

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:57 pm

That's so cute. But for my daughter that be comedy- :D Not even saw5 can scare this one... LOL
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby indy-jones » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Great list jimliker!

I bet you're a fan of Burton! I like some of his work with Johnny Depp as well!

If I have to pick an honorable mention, I would say Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, because since it's Halloween, it's full of candy and treats plus some chilling moments when the four bad kids get their due!
"Snakes! Why it had to be snakes?"
-Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
indy-jones
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Postby fluffy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:39 am

:wink: .....i'm gonna cause a scandal now...........i DON'T like Burtons 's work much,i appreciate his genius but he's stuck in the rut of teenage gothdom....lol.......and i find his animations ghoulish and devoid of any attractive humour.....lol

fluffy :wink:
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby jimliker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:17 pm

indy-jones wrote:Great list jimliker!

I bet you're a fan of Burton! I like some of his work with Johnny Depp as well!

If I have to pick an honorable mention, I would say Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, because since it's Halloween, it's full of candy and treats plus some chilling moments when the four bad kids get their due!

yw indy-jones :)

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Return to The Speakeasy